Scots Church on the North Terrace, Adelaide, was originally called “Chalmers Free Church”, named after the Rev Dr James Chalmers who established the Free Church of Scotland. It was built by a group of prominent Adelaide citizens, early immigrants to South Australia, who supported the Free Church of Scotland movement. Determined to establish a Free Church in Adelaide, this group called the Rev John Gardner from Scotland. He arrived in Adelaide in March 1850 and immediately he and the group set about purchasing the land on the corner of North Terrace and Pulteney Street, and building a church there.
The foundation stone for the new church was laid on the 8th of September 1850, six months after the Rev Gardner’s arrival.The church building was officially opened for worship on July 6th 1851. The tower was added in 1858. In 1865 the three branches of Presbyterianism established in South Australia, the Free Church, the United Presbyterian Church, and the Church of Scotland, united to form one Presbyterian Church in South Australia. They became part of the Presbyterian Church of Australia at Federation in 1901. And so Chalmers Free Church became Chalmers Presbyterian Church.
In 2011, Scots Church celebrated its 160th anniversary since its opening as Chalmers Church. In 160 years, Scots Church, and Chalmers Church before it, has seen many changes. The building itself has seen additions, alterations, renovations and repairs. But the physical changes to this building have always reflected the life and commitment of its members.
This post is part of the Spiritual Sunday meme.