Monday 19 September 2016

BURANO, ITALY

Burano is an island in the Venetian Lagoon, northern Italy; like Venice itself, it could more correctly be called an archipelago of four islands linked by bridges. It is situated near Torcello at the northern end of the Lagoon, and is widely known for its fine lace work, which is very expensive because it is extremely time-consuming to make.

Burano is also known for its small, brightly painted houses, which are popular with photographers and artists. The colours of the houses follow a specific system originating from the golden age of its development. If someone wishes to paint their home, one must send a request to the local government authority, which will respond by making notice of the certain colours permitted for that lot.

Other attractions include the Church of San Martino, with a leaning campanile and a painting by Giambattista Tiepolo (Crufixion, 1727), the Oratorio di Santa Barbara and the Museum and School of Lacemaking.

The mosaic at the end of the post is by Christine Brallier and depicts the colourful houses of Burano.

This post is part of the Monday Mellow Yellows meme,
and also part of the Blue Monday meme,
and also part of the Through my Lens meme,
and also part of the Seasons meme,
and also part of the Our World Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Ruby Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Travel Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Wordless Wednesday meme.






17 comments:

  1. Lovely - so colorful and bright!!!
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-man-in-moon.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. so colorful houses! Unfortunately there are those houses not in Germany
    Falk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the brightly colored houses! So cheerful! And yes, painters do love to paint them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bird's eyed view! The bright colors of these houses are so attractive and colorful! Would be beautiful to live directly on the waterside (but probably much upkeep). Thanks so much for sharing this part of Italy with SEASONS! Wishing you a lovely week:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those homes are an amzingly bright variety of colours. They reflect the sunshine beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! Love italy!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/09/on-your-mark-get-set-go.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Nick, I love the colorful houses you shared. Florida, where I spent most of my life, painting house's with lots of color is common. That was one of the things I was impressed with when we moved from our farming community in MI. I was nine when we moved to FL. I think the last photo of the tile picture is really good. I enjoyed this post very much. Thanks for always joining Blue Monday.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in Venice for a couple of days. I didn't get to Burano but it is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those colors will make anyone smile! And if they don't, well isn't that just a shame for them. Bella! #Image-in-ing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these colorful houses. I've seen many blog posts on them--maybe one day I'll get back to Venice and see them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an uplifting row of houses. Makes my eyes pop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Nick, imagine living in a street as colourful as that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful houses. I love all the colours. Burano was one of the places I wanted to visit while in Venice a few years ago, but I missed out. Now I will be meeting my husband in Venice, where he will be for a few days, with plans to visit another island in the archipelago...Murano. Meanwhile, I will have been visiting my best friend plus two blogging friends in Britain, and will only have one night in Venice before embarking on a Mediterranean cruise. Another visit-Burano/Murano opportunity lost.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how incredible. I think I like Burano more than Venice :)

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea the houses could only be painted certain colors. Burano is certainly a very colorful place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely delightful! I have visited Murano but sadly did not make it to Burano. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful. Makes me long for Italy, the home of my ancestors. Burano is on my list.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.