Friday 9 June 2017

LICHEN

A lichen is a composite organism that arises from algae or cyanobacteria living among filaments of multiple fungi in a symbiotic relationship. The combined lichen has properties different from those of its component organisms and confer upon both partners benefits that aid their survival.

Lichens come in many colours, sizes, and forms. The properties are sometimes plant-like, but lichens are not plants. Lichens may have tiny, leafless branches (fruticose), flat leaf-like structures (foliose), flakes that lie on the surface like peeling paint (crustose), or other growth forms.

This post is part of the Weekend Green meme,
and also part of the Friday Photo Journal meme.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing bits of life. Fine macro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange things, but I like them. They show a clean air, I think.
    Hava a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, what lovely lichen! I see a lot of it around here but I'm not sure I've seen some like this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.