Thursday 27 September 2012

KINGS PARK, PERTH

Kings Park is a 4.06-square-kilometre (1,003-acre) park located on the western edge of the central business district in Perth, Western Australia. The park is a mixture of grassed parkland, botanical gardens and natural bushland on Mount Eliza with two thirds of the grounds conserved as native bushland. With panoramic views of the Swan River and Darling Range, it is home to over 300 native plant varieties and 80 bird species. It overlooks the city as well as Perth Water and Melville Water on the Swan River.

It is one of the largest inner city parks in the world and the most popular visitor destination in Western Australia, being visited by over five million people each year. The park is larger than New York's Central Park which is 3.41 km². Besides tourist facilities Kings Park contains the State War Memorial, the Royal Kings Park Tennis club and a reservoir. The streets are tree lined with individual plaques dedicated by family members to Western Australian service men and women who died in World War I and World War II.

During September of each year Kings Park hosts Australia's largest wildflower show and exhibition - the Kings Park Festival. I was lucky enough to be in Perth for this, so a visit to Kings Park was de rigueur!

This post is part of the Floral Friday Fotos meme.












8 comments:

  1. That is a BIG park! Bigger than our farm! Much bigger! It certainly has a wonderful array of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be in this fowering place. Awesome! From FFF:
    my entry: flowers to make you smile: willyouhearfromme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos! Such a lovely park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to visit this place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna go there. My friends from Singapore goes specially to Perth to see wild flowers. I wonder if the i is the place.

    I took some wild flowers in my garden, may be I post it next week.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.