Wednesday 27 June 2012

AUCKLAND DOMAIN, NZ

The Auckland Domain is Auckland's oldest park, and at 75 hectares one of the largest in the city. Located in the central suburb of Grafton, the park contains all of the explosion crater and most of the surrounding tuff ring of the Pukekawa volcano. The park is home to one of Auckland's main tourist attractions, the Auckland War Memorial Museum, which sits prominently on the crater rim (tuff ring).

Several sports fields occupy the floor of the crater, circling to the south of the cone, while the rim opposite the Museum hosts the cricket pavilion and Auckland City Hospital. The Wintergarden, with two beautiful glass houses, lie on the north side of the central scoria cone. The fernery has been constructed in an old quarry in part of the cone.The duck ponds lie in the northern sector of the explosion crater, which is breached to the north with a small overflow stream.

This post is part of Kim's Water World Wednesday meme,
and also part of Susan's Outdoor Wednesday meme,
and also part of Nature Footsteps Waters meme.














7 comments:

  1. I don't believe I've ever seen such beautiful gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. If I ever get there it will definitely be on my list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this place!

    http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2012/06/fishing-in-madura-strait.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there a couple of years ago but I missed seeing the glasshouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kind of place to relax and take a lot of photos. Thanks for sharing and joining Water World Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard that Newzealand is beautiful.
    Your photographs have captured the beauty so well Nick.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.