Sunday 10 June 2012

AKAROA, NEW ZEALAND

Akaroa is a village on Banks Peninsula in the Canterbury region of the South Island of New Zealand, situated within a harbour of the same name. The name Akaroa is Kāi Tahu Māori for 'Long Harbour'. Akaroa is 84km by road from Christchurch and is the terminus of State Highway 75. At the March 2001 New Zealand census of population and dwellings, the permanent population was 576, a decrease of 69 since 1996. The village has a high (31%) ratio of residents aged over 65.

Set on a beautiful, sheltered harbour and overlooked by craggy volcanic hills, Akaroa is a popular resort village and in summer the temporary population can reach 7,000 which places stress on the summer water supply, which is entirely dependent upon rainfall on the hills. Many Hector's Dolphins may be found within Akaroa harbour, and 'swim with the dolphins' boat tours are a major tourist attraction.

This post is part of the Sunday Psalms meme hosted by Robert and Louis,
and also part of the Scenic Sunday meme,
and also part of Charlotte's Spiritual Sunday meme.











The setting of Psalm 23 below, "The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,  he refreshes my soul..." is by Louis Spohr (5 April 1784 - 22 October 1859) a German composer, violinist and conductor.

5 comments:

  1. I gasped as a saw the beauty of the landscape, but I think even that paled beside the beauty of this small church. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your country is very beautiful! In 2005, January and February I was together with my daughter and her children in the South Island and stayed there for three weeks. It was very beautiful.
    Thanks for the wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essence of beauty.

    And yes, the last picture is amazing ! Thank you for your kind participation very much; please have a good new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These beautiful photographs ministered to me today. God's creation is amazing and I hope I can see your country in person some day. Steeples are built to point us to God--these photographs do the same thing.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful. I'm constantly amazed at the beauty of God's creation. The video is beautiful too. How glad I am that God also gifted people to build grand buildings like this and create beautiful music. Wow. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.