Thursday 7 February 2013

NODDING VIOLET

A popular house plant, Streptocarpus is a genus of flowering plants in the family Gesneriaceae (Gesneriads). The flowers are five-petalled, salverform tubes, almost orchid-like in appearance, and hover or arch over the plant. The genus is native to parts of Africa and Madagascar. In the wild, species can be found growing on shaded rocky hillsides or cliffs, on the ground, in rock crevices, and almost anywhere the seed can germinate and grow.

For the home, there are now many hybrids of various colours and forms available.The genus is defined by having a spirally twisted fruit (from Greek via Latin, where strepto = twisted, carpus = fruit - Greek: Στρεπτόκαρπος), although this character is also found in some other Old World genera of Gesneriaceae. Although generally referred to simply as Streptocarpus, or "Streps", one common name is Cape Primrose, referring to the nativity of several species to South Africa and their superficial resemblance to the genus Primula.

I love reading the signs on plants in nurseries as they are a wealth fo information and often have bits and pieces on them that I didn't know. For example, I always referred to this plant as "Streps" and hadn't heard of the term "nodding violet" - a much more poetic one!


This post is part of the Signs, Signs Thursday meme,
and also part of the Floral Friday Fotos meme.



8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful flower. I must look for this the next time I visit the locaal nursery. I am sure my mum would love one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just perfect seeing some lovely violets on a day when a big snow storm is moving into our area .. visiting from Signs, Signs ... I'm sharing some lock signs this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the name - nodding violet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These violets are so lovely! Like colourful stars in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful blue:) Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful photos of one of my favourite flowers' especially in hanging baskets.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.