Tuesday 16 January 2018

CAPE SOUNION, GREECE

Cape Sounion (Modern Greek: Aκρωτήριο Σούνιο, transliterated Akrotírio Soúnio) is a promontory located 69 kilometres south-southeast of Athens, at the southernmost tip of the Attica peninsula in Greece. Cape Sounion is noted as the site of ruins of an ancient Greek temple of Poseidon, the god of the sea in classical mythology. The remains are perched on the headland, surrounded on three sides by the sea. The ruins bear the deeply engraved name of English Romantic poet Lord Byron (1788–1823). The site is a popular day-excursion for tourists from Athens, with the sunset over the Aegean Sea, as viewed from the ruins, a sought-after spectacle.

This post is part of the Our World Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Travel Tuesday meme,
and also part of the  Wordless Wednesday meme.


3 comments:

  1. Hello, I would love to see the ruins. Gorgeous! Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Greece, but the more photos I see, the more I realize how beautiful it must be.
    Thank you for linking up at http://www.handsontriangle.org/user/dashboard/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. I apologize - I gave the wrong link to this week's party. Here's the correct one:
    https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-few-feathery-visitors.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.