Thursday 26 July 2012

VICTORIA MARKET, MELBOURNE

The Queen Victoria Market (also known as the Queen Vic Markets or the Queen Vic, and locally as '"Vic Market"') is a major landmark in Melbourne, Australia, and at around seven hectares (17 acres) is the largest open air market in the Southern Hemisphere. The Market is significant to Melbourne's culture and heritage and has been listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The Market is named after Queen Victoria who ruled the British Empire, from 1837 to 1901. The Queen Victoria Market is the only surviving 19th century market in the Melbourne central business district.

The Market is open every day of the week except Mondays and Wednesdays. On Wednesday evenings in the summer months, there is a night market which offers dining, bars, live entertainment and a variety of other stalls. Here it is on a Monday!

This post is part of Pat's Things in a Row meme.

2 comments:

  1. I love your header. It is amazing.

    Your rows are great, too.

    Melbourne, Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. 17 acres of shopping? Oh gosh, I'd never make it through everything! My aching body would tell me to stop at the most 2 acres! I bet that's a wonderful place to walk around and browse!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.