Tuesday 24 July 2012

MONUMENT TO DORIS MAY GRAHAM

Next to the Festival Centre in Adelaide, by the banks of the Torrens River, is a monument to Doris May Graham (1912-2004). She was a South Australian woman who did much to better the relations between white Australians and Indigenous Australians. She and he husband Cecil Wallace Graham wrote "As we’ve known it: 1911 to the present", published by the Aboriginal Studies and Teacher Education Unit (ASTEC), Underdale, in 1987. It is an Autobiographical account of life at the Point Pearce Mission.

I could not find much else relating to Doris May Graham, except the information on the memorial, which stands as a cenotaph to her memory. Her 15 children I am sure would be proud of her and may have had something to do with the erection of this memorial.

This post is part of Julie's Taphophile Tragics meme.






6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memorial.

    Beneath Thy Feet

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks very lonely out there in that wide open space all by herself.
    Maybe that was the point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds a remarkable woman, 15 children AND a book. Lovely memorial Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds a remarkable woman.
    And busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I like this memorial all out there by itself. It is a lovely setting, and I feel certain her children were involved. I love her words of wisdom: 'Trust was the start of it. Joy was a part of it. Love was the heart of it.

    If my arithmetic does not let me dfown, Doris lived until she was 92 years of age. This is astounding for an idigenous woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the memorial! but a bit lonely indeed. its not her grave, or is it?
    15 children. even thinking of it makes me tired, haha.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.