Monday 21 March 2016

CLEMATIS 'ETOILE DE PARIS'

Clematis is a genus of about 300 species within the buttercup family Ranunculaceae. Their garden hybrids have been popular among gardeners, beginning with Clematis × jackmanii, a garden standby since 1862; more hybrid cultivars are being produced constantly. They are mainly of Chinese and Japanese origin. They're very popular in gardens with stunning large flowers. Most species are climbing and look beautiful trained up a trellis.

They will grow best with cool moist roots and plenty of sun. They'll grow in most types of fertile soil. They are fairly easy to grow but are susceptible to various diseases and also to pests so they can be a little high maintenance. There are many different colour varieties, from white to lilac, pink and rich burgundy. The flowers are usually large and star shaped. This variety, 'Etoile de Paris' was hybridised by Christen in 1885 and has large, showy blue flowers.

This post is part of the Blue Monday meme,
and also part of the Macro Monday meme,
and also part of the Through my Lens meme,
and also part of the Seasons meme.



11 comments:

  1. Hello, the clematis is beautiful. One of my favorite plants. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of clematis but these are very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful vibrant colour the Clematis is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty clematis. It's too early for that here, though.
    I hope you'll come drop by http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/03/spring-has-finally-sprung.html and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning captures! An I love the colors so much. Could get through life with purple and blue:) Appreciate you being a part of Seasons. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous plant. Wish I had one. Such a vibrate blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your clematis is so pretty. I have the same vine but my nephew painted the deck on the guest cabin we have on our property and he pulled most of it out of the ground and broke the trellis. Sigh. I am going to find another one this spring because the flowers are so beautiful. My garden club had a program on the many species of clematis so I am doing some research for this new one.

    Thank you so much for joining Blue Monday at Backyard Neighbor.

    Have a blessed Easter.
    xo,
    Jeanne

    PS: Chipmunks are very tiny and he makes the blue jay look larger than he is. Although, blue jays are large birds. Especially out west. Our NC blue jays are smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Nick, these are just beautiful! have a lovely day! {visiting via the seasons link}

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.