Wednesday 19 February 2020

MONTBRETIA

Montbretias belong in the the Iridaceae family of bulbs, the Crocosmias having originated in Southern Africa. Montbretia is a hardy member of the Crocosmia group and is very easy to grow. Crocosmia × crocosmiiflora (Montbretia) is a garden hybrid of C. aurea and C. pottsii, first bred by Victor Lemoine in 1880.

The variety illustrated here is ‘His Majesty’.The orange flowers are trumpet shaped and appear alternately along the stems. The leaves are long and narrow.This is one of the few summer flowers in our garden that make a pretty display and can grow wildly. Some people call this a "wild gladiolus", but the wild gladiolus is pinkish in colour.

This post is part of the Wordless Wednesday meme,
and also part of the My Corner of the World meme,
and also part of the Floral Friday Fotos meme.

3 comments:

  1. These are growing everywhere here in NZ, too! I love seeing them along the roadside. Thanks for the info about this lovely bloom :)

    I'm so glad you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely capture of a very pretty flower!

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful flower!
    Have a nice weekend, Elke

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.