Thursday 14 March 2013

WATERLILIES

Nymphaea is a genus of hardy and tender aquatic plants in the family Nymphaeaceae. There are about 50 species in the genus, which has a cosmopolitan distribution. The name Nymphaea comes from the Greek term "Νυμφαία", possibly related to "Νύμφη" meaning "nymph". The nymphs in Greek mythology were supernatural feminine beings associated with springs, so the application of the name to delicately flowered aquatic plants is understandable. Despite its common name "water lily" (water-lily, waterlily), Nymphaea is not related to the true lily, Lilium.

This post is part of the Floral Friday Fotos meme.




4 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous. I love waterlilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pink ones make my heart go pitty-pat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic waterlilies! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love waterlilies! Your are truly pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.