Wednesday 10 July 2013

BLACK SWANS

The Black Swan (Cygnus atratus) is a large waterbird, a species of swan, which breeds mainly in the southeast and southwest regions of Australia. The species was hunted to extinction in New Zealand, but later reintroduced. Within Australia they are nomadic, with erratic migration patterns dependent upon climatic conditions. Black Swans are large birds with mostly black plumage and red bills. They are monogamous breeders that share incubation duties and cygnet rearing between the sexes.

Described scientifically by English naturalist John Latham in 1790, the Black Swan was formerly placed into a monotypic genus, Chenopis. Black Swans can be found singly, or in loose companies numbering into the hundreds or even thousands. Black Swans are popular birds in zoological gardens and bird collections, and escapees are sometimes seen outside their natural range.

This post is part of the Waterworld Wednesday meme,
and also part of the Outdoor Wednesday meme,
and also part of the Nature Footsteps Winged meme.

16 comments:

  1. Exquisite photo and informative post ~ Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine seeing a couple thousand of them in one place...
    Great image!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is my first time to see black swans with red beak very pretty!

    Thank you for joining Water World Wednesday
    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture and interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice they are. It's not often we see black swans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting! Thanks for the info...great picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting! Thanks for the info...great picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the black swan ever since I saw one in as a park-bird where I lived in my youth. Thansk for sharing this lovely swan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photo of these elegant black beauties! On my peninsula, I have seen them offshore from Rosebud beach and in a lake at Safety Beach Golf Club. Two totally different environments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delightful photos of these stately birds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pair of black swans, I've never seen one before.

    Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great couple, and very nice colors :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.