Monday 18 April 2016

CANOLA FIELD

Brassica rapa L. is a plant consisting of various widely cultivated subspecies including the turnip (a root vegetable); the mizuna, napa cabbage, bok choy, and cime di rapa (leaf vegetables); and (Brassica rapa subsp. oleifera, an oilseed which has many common names, including field mustard, bird rape, keblock, and colza).

The oil made from the seed is sometimes also called canola, which is one reason why it is sometimes confused with rapeseed oil, but this comes from a different Brassica species (Brassica napus). The oilseeds known as canola are sometimes particular varieties of Brassica rapa (termed Polish Canola) but usually the related species Brassica napus (rapeseed) and Brassica juncea (mustard greens).

This post is part of the Monday Mellow Yellows meme,
and also part of the Blue Monday meme,
and also part of the Through my Lens meme,
and also part of the Seasons meme.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful view and fields of yellow! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue skies and the yellow. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this gorgeous yellow field of mustard and sharing it with SEASONS!

    Also thanks for the explanation - some wellknown chefs here in the US like to cook with rapeseed oil. Am just a beginner about all these things and am happy one of my daughters has such an interests in plants and animals - it enriches one's life so much!have a happy week:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These bright yellow fields remind me that summer is coming !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Gorgeous colors everywhere here. Thank you for this share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty yellow! We see yellow fields around here and I just call them mustard but it could be canola.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very interesting photo of endless a canola field. I'm still not sure I know exactly what it is except a beautiful color. I will look it up. Your explanation seemed to say it is a lot of things.

    I am sorry my comment is late. We were out of town and I ran out of time on Monday to visit everyone.
    Happy Blue Monday,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so beautiful growing in the field!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.