Wednesday 13 November 2013

WELCOME SWALLOWS

Australia’s most widespread swallow, the Welcome Swallow (Hirundo neoxena) can be seen fluttering, swooping and gliding in search of flying insects in almost any habitat, between city buildings, over farmland paddocks, in deserts, wetlands, forests and grasslands and every habitat in between.

Sometimes these birds even occur at sea — the name ‘Welcome’ swallow comes from sailors who knew that the sight of a swallow meant that land was not far away. Swallows build their mud nests in many different situations, though most noticeably beneath bridges and on the walls of buildings.

This post is part of the Outdoor Wednesday meme,
and also part of the Wild Bird Wednesday meme.




7 comments:

  1. HI. this ia a lovely little bird. I love the 3rd shot as you have caught the light in his eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have never heard of the species of Swallow. I will swot up now, thanks for enlightening me

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictures! I see you posted them!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love Swallows and you got some great shots~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely birds. Love the name.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.