Tuesday 5 January 2016

FREIBURG, GERMANY

Freiburg im Breisgau is a city in Baden-Württemberg, Germany with a population of about 220,000. In the south-west of the country, it straddles the Dreisam river, at the foot of the Schlossberg. Historically, the city has acted as the hub of the Breisgau region on the western edge of the Black Forest in the Upper Rhine Plain.

A famous old German university town, and archiepiscopal seat, Freiburg was incorporated in the early twelfth century and developed into a major commercial, intellectual, and ecclesiastical centre of the upper Rhine region. The city is known for its medieval minster and Renaissance university, as well as for its high standard of living and advanced environmental practices.

The city is situated in the heart of the major Baden wine-growing region and serves as the primary tourist entry point to the scenic beauty of the Black Forest. According to meteorological statistics, the city is the sunniest and warmest in Germany and held the all-time German temperature record of 40.2 °C from 2003 to 2015.

This post is part of the Our World Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Ruby Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Travel Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Wordless Wednesday meme.












6 comments:

  1. What a quaint town, I love the buildings. Pretty church! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! Making me miss Germany! 4 months until we are back in Germany!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/01/erin.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grand shots! I lived for a year in Germany, and have forgotten which places I visited. I love the ceiling of the cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful!
    Marvelous photos. Thanks for sharing them at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/01/nosey-cat-yep.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a colorful town! Can't wait to go back to Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these buildings are really beautiful and I am fond of architecture, I was love to visit places like these which have ancient architectural buildings, this year I will also share my experience when I travel to Freiburg Germany.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.